This is a guide for those who don’t want to miss any quests, but also don’t like spoilers. I’ve tried to write down as many tips as necessary, hopefully without revealing too much.
Don’t turn away any potential allies.
Don’t let other people do the hard work for you. Don’t let the Alchemist fight the Old One alone, don’t let the Mirrows stop the bombardment on their own.
Recruit as many people as you can on the Mobile Lab. The Professor, the Scavenger, the Mechanic, the Explorer, the Mirrows, the Ranger, the Hunter, the Alchemist.
Don’t let the Mobile Lab get destroyed.
First Bombardment starts when you accept the quest “Evolve Dragon Ship”. You should rest at the Inn at least once before then, because the Innkeeper can be killed by the bombs and he gives you a quest; also, resting at the Inn is apparently a prerequisite for “Defeat the Pirates”. (Incidentally, if you kill the pirates during the Bombardment, you’ll have to wait until the Bombardment ends before you can get the reward from the Fisherman.)
Second Bombardment starts when you accept the quest “To the Leader!”. Before then, you should free as many alien ships as you can, so they’ll come back to help you.
Missable Quest / Tip
- Hatch Dragons – Don’t attack the dragon.(*) Talk to the Alchemist.
- Convince the Mirrows – Run away from the Mirrows fight; never fight them.(*) Read all the logs, then go to the Mechanic.
- To Space! – Don’t put a power core in the Escort Ship before you get this quest. Try flying it without power cores.
- Revitalize Dragon – Very Very Very Missable, and the quest that prompted me to make this guide in the first place. You will miss this quest if you have talked to the Sea Witch before getting it; you will miss it if you defeat the Storm before getting it; you must, however, have started the “Evolve Dragon Ship” quest, and you must have fought the Storm and run away. To get the quest, talk to the fish librarian.
- Stuck Merchant – Don’t activate the Monolith at the top of Divider Island before you talk to Tindle (that’s the person stuck there on the mountaintop).
- Mysterious Ores – Don’t build a Bombardment Shield before the Bombardment starts. After the Bombardment ends, talk to the Ore Merchant.
- Exotic Matter – Don’t build a Bombardment Shield before the Bombardment starts. After the Bombardment ends, talk to the Ore Merchant.
- Hidden Power – Before you activate the Monolith on Hidden World, interact with it without a bone shard.
- Holographic Projector – Do NOT defeat the Final Boss.(*) You probably need to keep the Nursery Crab alive, too.(*)
- Holographic Ships – Do NOT defeat the Final Boss.(*) You probably need to keep the Nursery Crab alive, too.(*)
- Moon Bombardment – After the end credits, choose Earth as humanity’s new home. I won’t tell you any more about this one; you’ll most likely end up getting the quest if you just keep playing normally.
(*) You’ll have a chance to fight everyone in the Colosseum, so you won’t miss any achievements.