Guide to Improve FPS and Remove Stutter
DXVK is a tool to translate DirectX API calls to Vulkan.
For some games this can really improve performance.
Dungeon Lords is known to stutter on even powerful machines in open areas and when loading new areas.
From my testing, on AMD drivers, DXVK 1.10.3 runs flawlessly to remove fps drops and reducing stuttering between new areas. Newer versions have some bugs, such as crashing when hitting Esc on the menu, but they might run fine on Nvidia or Intel GPUs.
How to Install
- Go to the official DXVK Github repository.
- Download dxvk-1.10.3.tar.gz
- Open with 7-Zip.
- Go to Dungeon Lords Steam Edition in your Steam library, right click, click on properties, click Local Files, then Browse…
- Copy d3d9.dll from x32 in dxvk-1.10.3 to the folder which pops up (root folder) when you click Browse Local Files.
- You’re done! To verify it worked, open DLSteamEdition_d3d9.log which should have been made in the same folder.