Simple guide to increase Alyx’s movement speed by modifying the game’s launch options.
Modifying Launch Options
- Right-click on “Half-Life: Alyx” title under the Library in Steam and select Properties.
- Under the General tab click the Set launch options… button.
- Enter in the following line: +hlvr_continuous_normal_speed 200 +hlvr_continuous_combat_speed 200
- Close the game’s Properties window and launch the game.
- Enjoy your new movement speed!
Feel free to choose a movement speed other than ‘200’. I’ve chosen it as a base value as it feels like a good compromise without sprinting. Just be aware that higher speeds may require more joystick finesse as you navigate tricky barnacle hallways.
Please note that the game does not naturally reduce your movement speed if you are crouching unlike other VR titles.
Also note that high movement speeds can cause issues with the player “falling” through staircases if you run at them too quickly. Try to walk up stairs.
What the Settings Do
This is your standard movement speed in Half-Life: Alyx when using continuous movement.
This is your movement speed during combat when using continuous movement.
Standard Half-Life 2 Movement Speeds
Just for reference, the standard movement speeds for Half-Life 2 are as follows:
Typical movement – 190
Sprinting – 320