Improve Performance on a 4GB VRAM card!
Best Settings (FPS + Visuals) for Mid Range GPU (GTX 1650, 970, 1050 Ti, Etc)
- Anti-Aliasing – FXAA
- Texture Filter – 16x
- VFX – Low
- Tree – Medium
- Unit Detail – High
- Depth of Field – Off
- Screen Space Refection – Off
- Lighting – Low
- Corpse Lifespan – Permanent
- Texture Quality – High (VERY IMPORTANT)
- Shadow – Medium
- Grass detail – Medium
- Terrain – Low (VERY IMPORTANT)
- Building – Medium
- Unit Size -Large
- Porthole quality – 2D (VERY IMPORTANT)
- Fog – Low
The other 8 options which have checkbox (Unlimited Video memory, V-sync, so on…) – Check Everything except Proximity Fading
I get stable 28-40 FPS on Campaign and Battles (Except Cathay Maps which are very performance intensive)
- 1. If you change any of the very important labelled settings, the game will run out of memory and start lagging on 4Gb Vram.
- 2. Turning off shadows ruins the visuals imo, shadows medium + ssao + screen space shadows are pretty much essential for the game to look decent at this artstyle.
- 3. For me 3D portholes drop down FPS by almost 15 fps, also adds a lot of lag when selecting armies and going into diplomacy. For low end cards I think it is good scarifice, considering they are already 99-100% taxed due to broken vfx right now.
- 4. The game actually runs out of VRAM on a 4GM card pretty quickly and doesn’t even tell you that it has. If it runs out the game loses 30-40% FPS due to constant reloading of textures. Medium texture look quite bad and the only way to play on high textures is to use the above settings from what I have tested.
My Specs – GTX 1650, 16 GB Ram, Ryzen 3550H