Instructions on how to recover your game from a crash when it seems lost.
Guide to Recover a Save from a Crash
How to Recover Your Game from a Crash
There are two types of common crashes you might encounter:
- An in engine crash – most likely these days if there is a bug in a mod you’ve installed. In this case there will be a save file, and so restarting the game you should pick up from the moment of the crash
- An out of engine crash, e.g. a graphics driver issue or similar. In this case the game crashes such that it cannot write the save file. However all is not lost!
How to recover a game you thought was lost to the crash
When the game loads a level it right a file in the JupiterHell install folder called crash_data. This is a slightly modified save file. Next time you start a new game this file will be overwritten so you need to recover the save before starting another game!
Turning a crash_data file back into a save is easy:
- Open crash_data in a text editor, and delete the first four character of the file.
- Save the modified file as save1 (or whatever save number you aren’t using already).
- Launch the game and load the game up from the start of the level you crashed on.